Thursday, June 19, 2008

The end

>On Tuesday, 17th June the CIMP Trekking Club has finally succeeded in shipped off the donations to the Punan Bah Tribe in Bintulu, Sarawak. Hurrah!!! Now we can all breath in relief and pat ourselves on the back for a job well done.

A huge warm hug and thanks to everyone that was involved in this charity drive of hope.

Congratulations are in order too, for today we all made a difference in the world. =D

To Mr. Tan, the mastermind with a big heart behind it all and Ms. Janie, our beloved school mommy that keeps Mr. Tan in check while doing probably the biggest portions of the work (with sanity intact! Omg!) – Thank you guys for teaching us such valuable lessons along the way with all the hard work and fun filled times. Not forgetting the constant flood of emails containing orders, directions and plenty of mindless arguments that keeps us entertained.

To the Trek Club students that helped out all along, you guys know who you are. You guys are the best! From the t-shirt selling to the poster productions to the rounding up of the donated items, to clearing and packing the mountain pile of clothing and insane amount of shoes, and being so willing in helping out at any given time, man you guys are my hero!

(I rather not type your names out just in case I miss someone out and people get mad at me hehehehehe.)

I learnt many beautiful things throughout this charity drive. A pessimist at heart, I have always held my doubts against the kindness and humanity of humans. Little wonder I guess, when one has too much of horrifying news from all around the world. Especially when we live in such a kiasu world today... I always felt that for every action one takes, there has to be a reason of self gain behind it.

Now

I had a drastic change of opinion. Promoting T-shirt sales instead of last minute studies during the finals? Marking papers late into the night because day was spent leading the students with the charity drive? Coming back to college early in the morning during the holidays to pack clothes? No way... I thought. Hence I threw my theory of selfish self gratification out the window. =)

This recent event was a very big eye opener. What touched me most was the help and support provided by a certain Mr. Joseph Goh from the Freight Forwarding Company. Not only did he offer a discount for the 7 boxes we wanted to ship over to Sarawak, Mr. Goh then appeared in college with a truck ready to pick up our boxes so that we could save ourselves a long trip to LCCT. I was awed at the generosity of his heart.

What Mr. Goh did, what everyone did, to help the Punan Bah Tribe was such a beautiful thing. I dunno, I’m actually quite lost for words here. It makes me smile every time I think about it.

Kindness does exist.

This world is made a better place because people like you exist. May God bless each and everyone of you, for always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home